Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday May 30th



We went back into Edinburgh yesterday (Sunday) and we got to look around a lot of the city on our own.  One of the most amazing things that I've seen yet was Saint Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh.  It was probably the most beautiful buiding that I have ever seen.  The construction on the building started in the early 1100's and was not complete untill the early 1900's.  Most of the architecture that we saw inside though was done in the 14 and 15th centuries.  I couldn't take pictures inside because I did not want to pay to do so, but my professor did so I have just a couple of the pictures that he took for everyone to see! 

While in Edinbugh, Dr. Wood (my professor) surprised us all with dinne at The Elephant House!  This may not mean anything to any of you, but this is the coffee shop/restaurant where J.K. Rowling sat in while she was writing the Harry Potter series!!! I am a huge Harry Potter nut and this was very neat to me.  The shop has a room that overlooks the Edinburgh Castle and that is what she  looked at and got her inspiration from!  There is also a cemetery behind the shop.  I was told that she used names off of the tombstones for inspiration for the character's names!! I hear that Tom Riddle's grave is there! Which may or may  not mean anything to any of you, but it is amazing to me! Haha


1 comment:

  1. I am nearly in physical pain right now looking at these pictures. I am so jealous!! And you got to go to the Elephant House.... That is so amazing. If you go to the cemetery, you've GOT to see if you can find Harry Potter names. So incredibly awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete